"To realize our Mission to Save and Sustain Lives, it is our shared responsibility to fight racism, end marginalization and advance social justice for the Black community – within Baxter and beyond. A growing wave of actions is underway building on our longtime global embrace of inclusion and diversity. There is hard work ahead, but we must dedicate ourselves to shaping the future we want for ourselves, our children and generations to come." – Joe Almeida, Chairman and CEO
Racism, intolerance, marginalization and discrimination are not bound to U.S. borders. They affect our colleagues, families, friends and communities worldwide in countless forms, overt and veiled.
Baxter is a tapestry of difference. We comprise a vast, magnificent spectrum of employees united in a single Mission: Save and Sustain Lives; and it rests on a strong foundation and commitment to diversity and inclusion globally.
Working in close collaboration with our Baxter Black Alliance business resource group, we launched ACT: Activating Change Today, a multidimensional and multiyear initiative to advance inclusion and racial justice within the workplace and within the communities and markets we serve.
As the name suggests, our commitment through ACT is about taking action and driving results. We want to achieve meaningful, sustainable change within and beyond Baxter to be part of the solution to the complex, longstanding, multifaceted societal issue of racial injustice. We are acting with a sense of urgency, prioritizing initiatives that we believe will provide the biggest impact. We will share updates on our progress.
A Few Examples of ACT:ions in Flight
- Provided a three-year grant to the Thurgood Marshall College Fund to offer several needs-based scholarships with select Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
- Developed targeted talent recruiting efforts partnering with Black professional organizations (NSBE, NSN, NBMBA) and HBCUs.
- Launching a new STEM internship program this year (for 2022/2023 graduates).
- Partnering with woman/minority owned recruiting agencies.
- Solicited candid anonymous feedback on racism via global employee listening circles; leveraged as input to our programs and activities.
- Piloted program to elevate racial consciousness of our leaders and cultivate a culture that supports courageous conversations about race in Q1, 2021. Program expansion planned for 2021.
- Improving the way we identify and mitigate unconscious biases in our global HR processes, including hiring and the Talent Review and Planning process.
- Expanding the geographic reach and member base of the Baxter Black Alliance business resource group.
- Established Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a paid holiday for U.S. employees – encouraged to use as a Day of Service.
- Committing $2.5 million toward community support through the Baxter International Foundation, including a $2 million grant to the American Diabetes Association to address health disparities for people with diabetes in underserved communities and a three-year 2:1 match on employee contributions to select nonprofit organizations committed to fighting racial injustice.
- Leveraging our product donations program to support select Community and Federally Qualified Health Centers that serve historically medically marginalized Black communities.
- Expanding our supplier diversity program by increasing Baxter’s supplier diversity spend and growing strategic relationships with diverse suppliers.
- Strengthening our healthcare disparity advocacy efforts by supporting and deploying relevant programming with leading policy organizations.
- Announced partnership with minority women-led not-for-profit The Links, Incorporated and the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois to increase awareness and education in Black communities about kidney health and managing chronic kidney disease.
- Launched Just Voices, a video series that highlights the injustices faced by the Black community in healthcare.
- Increasing Black representation on Key Opinion Leader (KOL) advisory boards and ensuring that the Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) Baxter engages with have experience treating diverse patient populations.
- Providing scholarships/grants to promote a Black healthcare professional pipeline in medicine.
- Standardizing enterprise-wide adoption of inclusive product/therapy design from concept to launch.
Just Voices is a new video series featuring stories that seek to advance our awareness and understanding of the need to end racial injustice in the U.S. and around the world.
Fostering Open, Honest Conversations
"How can you honor, and take pride in, the experiences of your fellow Black colleagues? And how can you champion them to ensure that we have diversity in every crevice of our marketplace?"
– Nosa Eguae, Territory Business Manager, Advanced Surgery
People Of Baxter
Our organization is enriched by people with diverse backgrounds and experiences that work together to drive better healthcare options for patients around the world. We strive to create an inclusive work environment.