Effective Date: June 13, 2016
By using this website, you accept the privacy practices summarized in this statement. We encourage you to read this statement in full to understand Baxter's privacy practices before using this website or submitting any personal information.
What Personal Information We Collect
We may collect personally identifiable information on Baxter web-sites including:
- Contact information, such as your name, home or other physical address, email, telephone number, fax number, organization name, and/or job title when you submit a contact form or an online job application.
- Unique identifiers and preference information such as your username, password, marketing preferences, internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, operating system, computer or mobile device, your navigation and clickstream behavior from actions that you take on our website.
- At various places on our site, we have feedback forms that ask for your name, address, email address and phone number, etc. This information is collected by us when you submit it to us voluntarily.
We may also collect the following personal information from you about your contacts or associates:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Position or Job Title
- Mailing address
- Phone number
If you provide us personal information about others, or if others give us your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
How We Use Personal Information Collected
- To provide you with information. We use the information you have provided to us to respond to your requests and provide information that you have requested from us. We also may send you additional information about other Baxter products and services.
- For our operations. We may use and disclose information about you in connection with our ongoing business operations. This may include disclosure of this information to vendors retained by Baxter to assist us with our operations. These vendors have entered into confidentiality agreements with Baxter and may only use this information in connection with providing services to Baxter.
- We use the information you have provided to us for various purposes where applicable, including to enable delivery of products and services to you, to respond to your requests, which include providing you with our product and service updates, to enable you to participate in surveys or questionnaires posted on our web-site, and to provide you with opportunities to learn about other products, programs, or services that we believe may be of interest to you.
How We Share Personal Information Collected
- We may provide your personal information to third parties that provide services to help us with our business activities such as shipping your order or offering customer service. These companies are authorized to use personal information about you only as necessary to provide these services to us. Baxter does not sell such personal information to third parties.
- As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process.
- If Baxter is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a notice on our web-site of any change in ownership, uses of your personal information, and choices you may have regarding your personal information.
- When disclosure is necessary for product safety or the health and safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government request To request removal of personal information contact us at email@example.com.
Access and Opt-Out Choices
You may review or change information provided to us by accessing your account profile for a specific Baxter web-site or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for changes to your personal data should be made directly by you.
To "opt-out" of having your personal data disclosed to third parties for a particular marketing or promotional communication, or any other consent previously granted for a specific purpose concerning your personal data, follow the unsubscribe instructions included in the specific communication. If you are unable to opt-out in this manner, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
In the Careers section of our site, visitors can submit resume information, enabling individuals to express their interest in becoming part of the Baxter team and contact or be contacted by prospective Baxter representative or agents.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
This website is not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If you think that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consent to Data Processing Outside Home Country
By using our site, or providing information to Baxter, you understand and unambiguously consent to the collection, use, disclosure and retention of information in the United States and other countries and territories, for the purposes set forth in this statement. You hereby consent to the collection, use, disclosure and retention by Baxter of your personal data as described in this statement, including but not limited to the transfer of your personal data between Baxter’s third parties, affiliates and subsidiaries. For further certainty, any consent relating to a right to transfer information referred to in this paragraph shall be deemed to include your consent to the transfer of the applicable personal data to a jurisdiction which may provide a different level of privacy protection than that available in your own country.
Tracking Technologies We Use
This site also collects non-personal information. For example, like many websites, baxter.com may use "cookies." A cookie is a small file that is transferred to your computer's hard drive to help us improve content (e.g., it helps us determine which parts of the site are popular and which are less popular, so we may improve these areas in the future) and customize website content for our visitors. Cookies that we generate contain no personal information about you, and we will not combine cookie information with any personal information we have collected from you via this website. You may set your browser to reject cookies and to let you know when a cookie is being placed on your computer. This site also logs IP addresses and Internet browser types, but we do not link such information to your personal information.
- To provide a service: A cookie may be used to provide you with a specific service. For instance, if you are logging into an access-controlled section of our site, we set a temporary session cookie to establish that you have been authenticated. The information contained in these cookies consists of random data that is used by the server to authenticate the browser requests to the server for that particular session. These cookies do not include any type of personally identifiable information. If you choose not to accept a temporary cookie, you will not be able to navigate in these online applications. We also use a cookie when you visit our website and request documentation or a response from us. When you are filling out a form, you may be given the option of having our website deliver a cookie to your local hard drive. You might choose to receive this type of cookie in order to save time in filling out forms and/or revisiting our website.
- To understand our visitors: When you visit our site, our computers may automatically collect statistics in aggregate about visitor behavior. We may monitor statistics and other data such as how many people visit our site, the user's IP address, which pages people visit, from which domains our visitors come, which browsers people use and how they move about our website. We use this data about your visit for aggregation purposes only. These statistics are used to help us to understand our visitors’ interests and improve the content and performance of our website.
- To advertise: In certain situations, we may tailor our advertisements to certain users based on the unidentified user data and related information. You can opt out of this tracking in many situations. We will use commercially reasonable means not to set advertising cookies on the computers of users who appear to be located in the European Union and Switzerland at the time you access our website.
Do Not Track
Baxter does not track the users of this web site over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you.
Our web pages contain electronic images (called a "single-pixel gif" or "web beacon") that allow us to count page views or to access our cookies. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a web page, including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon. Web beacons are typically very small, 1 by 1 pixel size, banner-like files, but their presence can be easily seen within Internet Explorer by clicking on "View" and then on "Source." Web beacons are so small in order not to use valuable space on the computer screen that is better used to display helpful content. We also may include web beacons in HTML-formatted newsletters containing graphics that we send to opt-in subscribers in order to count how many newsletters have been read. In addition, some advertising networks that serve ads on our websites may use web beacons within their clearly visible banner advertisements. Our web beacons do not collect, gather, monitor, or share any personal information about our website visitors. They are just the technique we use to compile our anonymous, aggregated statistics about website usage.
Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses
This site uses Internet protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are unique identifiers automatically assigned to each computer when logging onto the Internet. IP addresses allow us to collect much of the same information we collect through cookies, including browser-type, what pages you visit, and how long you stay on the site. In general, IP addresses allow us to identify problems with our servers, prepare aggregate demographic information and other information regarding the use of this site, and improve the functions of this site.
We consider the protection of all personal information we receive from our website visitors and others as critical to our corporate mission. Please be assured that we have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of any personal information we receive from you. We follow generally accepted standards to protect personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. As with any transmission over the Internet, however, there is always some element of risk involved in sending personal information. We incorporate into our web site and corporate operations reasonable and appropriate security standards to protect the personal information that we maintain. If you have any questions about the security of your personal information, you can contact us at email@example.com.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”)
Baxter maintains a HIPAA Privacy & Security Compliance Program to address the privacy and security provisions of HIPAA requirements. Under HIPAA, each covered entity (health care provider, health plan or health care clearinghouse) is required to provide or make available to you a Notice of Privacy Practices (NoPP), depending on your interaction with the covered entity. To the extent a Baxter affiliate and subsidiary is a covered entity or a business associate, a NoPP will be provided to you or made available to you.
U.S.-E.U. Safe Harbor
The business activities of Baxter (or its affiliates and subsidiaries) require the processing of European Union (E.U.) personal data. Baxter complies with the U.S. – E.U. Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from the European Union member countries. Baxter has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view the specific details of our certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.
TRUSTe Privacy Certification
Baxter has received TRUSTe's Privacy Seal signifying that this company's policy and our privacy practices have been reviewed for compliance with the TRUSTe program. In order to view our relationship with TRUSTe, please visit the validation page visible by clicking on the TRUSTe seal. The TRUSTe program covers only information that is collected through websites listed on their validation page. TRUSTe's mission, as an independent third party, is to accelerate online trust among consumers and organizations globally through its leading privacy Trustmark and innovative trust solutions.
Complaint Handling Process
Baxter is committed to ensuring that complaints and disputes concerning Baxter's privacy practices are investigated and resolved. For this reason, we have developed a privacy complaint handling procedure. It is our intention to resolve all complaints through this procedure.
Baxter respects your privacy and if you have submitted a concern to Baxter, we have placed your issue into our Complaint Handling Process that is intended to investigate and take steps to resolve your concerns.
The following is a summary of how our process works. If you have any questions, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Complete and submit the online Privacy Complaint Form or fax the form to 1-224-948-2867.
Step 2: Receive a communication within one (1) business day from Baxter acknowledging receipt of your complaint.
Step 3: Receive a communication from a Baxter employee assigned to investigate your concern within three (3) business days from the day you receive the communication from Baxter acknowledging receipt of your complaint.
Step 4: Baxter will conduct an investigation into your complaint. During this process, you may receive additional communications from the Baxter investigator.
Step 5: The investigator will contact you within fifteen (15) business days from the date he or she first contacted you with a proposed resolution to your concern. If you agree with the proposed resolution, you and the investigator will work together to close the matter. If you do not agree, the matter will be escalated to Baxter's Global Privacy Office.
Step 6: If you and the investigator cannot resolve your concern, the Baxter’s Global Privacy Office will take steps to resolve the matter. Within ten (10) business days of the escalation, Baxter’s Privacy Officer will contact you to propose a resolution.
Step 7: If you agree to the resolution, you will work with the Privacy Officer to close the matter.
Step 8: If you and the Privacy Officer do not agree to a resolution, we will offer you the opportunity to take the matter to an independent third party for resolution.
We recognize, however, that there may be instances where resolution through our internal procedures is not achievable, or where complainants may wish to avail themselves of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. Baxter has agreed to participate in the privacy resolution mechanism provided by TRUSTe. You may submit your concern:
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We may periodically update our policy and this statement to describe new website features, products or services we offer and how it may affect our use of information about you. If we make material changes to this our Policy, we will post a notice on this site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
You may also write to us at:
Baxter International Inc.
ATTN: Privacy Officer, Global Privacy Office
1 Baxter Parkway, Deerfield, IL USA 60015